The first 250 people to register will receive a “Convention Essentials Pack” by mail in June!
Thursday, June 24, 2021 - Friday, June 25, 2021
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM | Check-In: 8:00 AM
LIVE ONLINE ONLY – NO IN-PERSON ATTENDANCE
The 2021 Convention Is Live Online!
This year it’s more important than ever to connect with your colleagues. The Convention’s engaging online platform will allow you to view all the presentations from the comfort of your home or office and to participate as much as you want to. Plus, you’ll have many opportunities to interact with your fellow attendees.
Minnesota lawyers are musicians, entrepreneurs, volunteers, artists, experts, coaches, board members, teachers, writers, leaders, athletes, mentors, inventors and more. You’ll meet some of Minnesota’s most interesting lawyers at the 2021 MSBA Convention.
Special Features This Year Include:
BONUS! The first 250 people to register will receive a “Convention Essentials Pack” by mail in June!
8:30 – 8:45 a.m.
8:45 – 9:00 a.m.
– Dyan J. Ebert, MSBA President; Quinlivan & Hughes, P.A.; Saint Cloud
9:00 – 9:45 a.m.
Slanted: How an Asian American Troublemaker Took on the Supreme Court
– Simon Tam; Musician - Author - Activist; Cincinnati, Ohio
9:45 – 10:00 a.m.
BREAK – Meet Fred Dudderar; Duluth Lawyer and North Shore Photographer
10:00 – 10:45 a.m.
Wills for Heroes
– Susan Link; Maslon LLP; Minneapolis
The First Amendment, Truth and the Media
– David A. Schultz; Hamline University; Saint Paul
10:45 – 11:00 a.m.
BREAK – Meet Sahr Brima; Lawyer and Love You Cookie Entrepreneur
11:00 – 11:45 a.m.
2021 U.S. Supreme Court Update
– Aaron D. Van Oort; Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP; Minneapolis
11:45 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
12:00 – 12:15 p.m.
State of the Judiciary Address
– Chief Justice Lorie Skjerven Gildea; Minnesota Supreme Court; Saint Paul
12:15 – 12:30 p.m.
Remarks by American Bar Association President Patricia Lee Refo
12:30 – 12:45 p.m.
Passing of the Gavel Ceremony
– Dyan J. Ebert, MSBA President
– Jennifer A. Thompson, Incoming MSBA President
1:00 – 1:45 p.m.
“Self, Divided” and Other Nonfictions
– John T. Medeiros; Nilan Johnson Lewis PA; Minneapolis
The Black Big Law Project
– Brandon E. Vaughn; Robins Kaplan LLP; Minneapolis
1:45 – 2:00 p.m.
BREAK – Meet Elissa Meyer; Lawyer and Yoga Instructor
2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Elimination of Bias: Mapping Prejudice – The Hidden History of Race and Prejudice in the Twin Cities
1.0 elimination of bias credit applied for
– Kirsten Delegard Ph.D.; University of Minnesota; Minneapolis
3:00 – 3:15 p.m.
BREAK – Meet Larry McDonough; Lawyer and Musician
3:15 – 4:00 p.m.
Who We Are Now: Lessons from the Pandemic
– Sybil L. Dunlop; Greene Espel PLLP; Minneapolis
4:00 – 4:30 p.m.
Enjoy live music and conversation online with your colleagues!
Sponsored by Minnesota Lawyers Mutual
9:00 – 9:45 a.m.
Minnesota Appellate Case Law Update
– Panel of Minnesota Supreme Court Justices and Minnesota Court of Appeals Judges
– Moderator: Justice G. Barry Anderson; Minnesota Supreme Court; Saint Paul
9:45 – 10:00 a.m.
BREAK – Meet Sharon Herland; Retired Lawyer, Artist and Studio Owner
10:00 – 11:00 a.m.
Where in the World Is Ellen Abbott?
– Ellen A. Abbott; Repurposed Lawyer; Nomadland
How to Survive Practicing Law with Your Spouse
– Kathryn M. Lammers; Heimerl & Lammers LLC; Minnetonka
How to be an Effective Leader in Your Community
– Amran A. Farah; Greene Espel PLLP; Minneapolis
11:00 – 11:15 a.m.
BREAK – Meet Cathryn Schmidt; Lawyer and Opera Singer
11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Critical Conversation: The Future of Greater Minnesota Law Practice – Opportunities and Challenges
– Shari P. Fischer; Fischer Law PA; New Ulm
– Antonio Tejeda Guzman; Law Office of Tejeda Guzman, Ltd.; Willmar
– Joshua M. Heggem; Pemberton Law P.L.L.P; Fergus Falls
– Justice Gordon L. Moore III; Minnesota Supreme Court; Saint Paul
– Judge Rachel Sullivan; Sixth Judicial District; Hibbing
– Moderator: Leanne R. Fuith; Associate Professor and Dean of Career and Professional Development; Mitchell Hamline School of Law; Saint Paul
12:15 – 12:30 p.m.
BREAK – Meet Jules Porter; Lawyer and Video Game Developer
12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
Ethics: Maintaining Wellness through the Pandemic
1.0 ethics credit applied for
– Jennifer S. Bovitz; Office of Lawyers Professional Responsibility; Saint Paul
1:30 – 1:45 p.m.
BREAK – Meet Tina Burnside; Lawyer and Curator of the Minnesota African American Heritage Museum and Gallery
1:45 – 2:15 p.m.
The Other Side Workgroup: An Open Forum on Post-Pandemic Court Operations
Thursday & Friday, June 24 & 25, 2021
There are no replays.
$195 standard rate
$95 MSBA members
$45 judges / clerks / law students
Be sure to check the "Judge / Clerk / Student – Convention" option during the checkout process.
$45 members of sponsoring sections and affinity bars
Contact your section/bar leaders to see if you are eligible, and if so, for instructions on how to register for the reduced rate.
$45 Minnesota CLE Season Passholders
(This is an MSBA event and therefore is not covered by any Minnesota CLE Season Pass.)
Other discounts that may apply:
New Lawyer Discount
Need-based scholarships are available for in-person and online seminars. For further information or to obtain a scholarship application, contact us at 800-759-8840 or email@example.com.
Minnesota CLE is applying to the Minnesota State Board of CLE for 9.0 total CLE credits, including 1.0 ethics credit and 1.0 elimination of bias credit. The maximum number of total credits attendees may claim for this program is 9.0 credits.