Minnesota Adoption Law and Procedure
by Amy M. Silberberg, Gary A. Debele & Jody Ollyver DeSmidt
Guiding Principles in Minnesota Adoption Law and Practice
Helpful Adoption Resources
Types of Adoption
Chart explaining details on Direct Placement; Agency Placement; Adoption of an Adult; Stepparent, Relative, or Second Parent Adoption; and Adoption of an Indian Child in the following categories:
- Is an Adam Walsh background study required?
- Is a preplacement adoption study required?
- What type of consent to adoption form is required?
- How long is the consent revocation period?
- When may consent be taken?
- When must the MFAR be searched?
- When must the adoption be finalized?
- What is the residency requirement for adoptive parents?
- Must a birth parent social and medical history be completed?
- Does the ICPC apply?
Chart explaining timing requirements on the following events:
- Residency of Adoptive Parents
- Adoption Study
- MFAR Registration
- Motion for Pre-Adoptive Custody Order
- Order for Pre-Adoptive Custody
- Adoptive Placement
- Consent to Adoption
- Consent Becomes Irrevocable
- MFAR Search Certificate
- Consent of a Registered Putative Father or Notice
- Paternity Petition
- Finalize Adoption
- Complete Adoption Study
- Adoption Study
- Contact Agreement
- Post-placement Report to Court
- Hearing to Finalize Adoption
Right to Consent to or to Receive Notice of an Adoption Proceeding
Chart packed with information on the Requirements of Consent, Statutory Authority, and Case Law for the following parties:
- Presumed Father
- Notice Father
- Divorced Parent Who Lost Custody Through a Divorce Decree or a Decree of Dissolution
- Parent Who Has Abandoned the Child
- Man Who is Merely a Putative Father
- Parent of Legal Guardian of a Minor Parent
- Commissioner of the Department of Human Services
- Adoption Agency (public or private)
- Notice by Birth Parent to Other Birth Parent(s)
- Child to be Adopted
- Adult to be Adopted
Key Government Agencies
- Most Common Adoption Litigation Claims
- Minnesota Fathers’ Adoption Registry
- Common Mistakes Made by Adoption Practitioners
- Interstate Adoptions
- ICWA Requirements
- Financial Considerations
- Contact Agreements
- Intercountry Adoption